Joe Joe is offline

Default Electrolysis

On Oct 11, 3:48 pm, (Richard Casady)
wrote:
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 09:55:39 -0700, Joe
wrote:

he
sucked to many electrons from all his bronze hull fittings and and
shaft tube that they turned that brittle shade of pink.

That is sounds like the wholesale removing of the tin, zinc [in the
case of brass] or whatever leaving spongy pure copper. Brittle, that
wouldn't be, but it would be weakened.

Casady

It looks like it transformed the bronze to a substance like cool lava
on a microscopic level, the bronze looses it shine and if you smack a
wheel that's pink.. it will find a fault and snap..the bronze is
indeed brittle almost chalkey . I'd have to look it up and see which
is more noble in a bronze mix to guess which electron's took a hike.

Electrolysis can do strange things. I've pulled 3" 25' SS shafts that
had what looked like big scoops of metal taken out..just like a red
hot ice cream scooper did it in butter..very clean, all purdy and
shiney.

I agree it's best to just isolate all wiring runs, use breakers,
fuses, and gauges to know whats going on.

Joe