posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.building
[email protected] tsmwebb@gmail.com is offline

Default Questions for Cruisers Onboard Computers

On Oct 9, 3:24 am, " wrote:
QUESTION1: How HOT does it really get INSIDE the cabin of a Cruising
Boat, in the Tropics? What's the typical you've experienced? What's
the worst-case??

Worst case, say Kanton in the summer, I've seen high 90's inside the
pilot house. That isn't normal. We typically see mid to upper 80's
inside in the summer in the high tropics (eg. Hawaii or New Cal) and
upper 80's to low 90's in summer on the equator.

QUESTION2: If you use computer-based charts on a laptop or other
onboard computer, how much Harddrive space do your charts take up??

Transis and C-Map cover the whole world in vector on 2 CDs or one
DVD.

Let me add, just by the way, that I don't think there is any
noticeable difference between MTBF for laptops used on cruising boats
and laptops used on land. I wonder if you're stressing more than you
have to over all this...

-- Tom.