posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.building
Dick Locke Dick Locke is offline

Default Questions for Cruisers Onboard Computers

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 15:14:29 GMT, (Richard
Casady) wrote:

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 06:24:44 -0700, "
wrote:

QUESTION2: If you use computer-based charts on a laptop or other
onboard computer, how much Harddrive space do your charts take up??
(Let's say for a passage, or your typical cruising area)?? How large a
hard drive do you feel you need to be "comfortable" for charts and
your other uses??

It was less than a hundred bucks for a hard drive the size of a
paperback book, that plugged into the USB port and holds 80 gig.

I wouldn't mind knowing just what it takes.

Casady

Danger of getting into a "my equipment is bigger than yours"
discussion here but I picked up a 480gig Maxtor backup drive a couple
of months ago for about $110. It does require external power and
interfaces by USB.

My boat computer runs hottest when the boat's under way. It's a small
frame in in tight quarters and I have to blow a fan onto it. Air temp
under way with some ventilation is about 90.

THe boat computer is 40gig and hasn't come close to filling up with
pictures and charts.