Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default stainless rigging wire - nick in wire

On 2007-10-08 19:58:31 -0400, said:

On Oct 7, 7:44 pm, wrote:
I've managed to put two nicks in the 1/19 stainless forestay on my 32'
boat. Dont ask how, far too embarassing, suffice to say a hack saw got
drawn across the wire. Nothing was cut through, but two small chunks
got taken out of two strands. How dangerous is this?

here's the orginal poster back. The stay is four years old, the nicks
are nicks, not gouges. Perhaps 1/8 of the strand's total diameter?
Point about I already know the answer is well taken. I shall have to
pay for my stupidity, as it aint worth the dismasting. (Just consider
the deductible!)

Thank you!

I love it when a questioner comes back and says what he/she decided,
based upon our collective opinions.

Expect you won't be using the forestay as a sawing surface again.... ;-)

[Don't worry, all of us who have been around for a while have done
stupider things. Some of us are strong enough to admit to them. (I'm
not sure I'm one of that crowd.)]

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD