Frogwatch Frogwatch is offline

Default stainless rigging wire - nick in wire

On Oct 7, 10:30 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 18:53:39 -0700, Frogwatch
wrote:

And a dismasting is a lot more expensive than a new head stay.

OK, lets see. Assume the two wires are actually removed thus reducing
the maximum load by 2/19 to about 90% of its previous capacity. This
seems well, worth the risk to me in terms of cost. However, this is
NOT the case. Filing down the two nicks will basically give the two
wires back most of their strength so I estimate the stay will have AT
LEAST 95% of its pre-nick strength (however, you have to remove the
stress riser produced by the nick or it weakens the whole thing).
The average stay that is less than 5 yrs old where such a nick is
removed is probably stronger than the average 10 yr old stay without
nicks (due to crevice corrosion in the fittings). There is a lot of
overstrength in these stays so reducing it to about 95% is nothing.

I'm not disputing your numbers, I just think it's a bad bet.

Price of new headstay: $200 to $300.

Cost of dismasting: $20,000+

By your logic, you should go to 21 wire forestays to increase
strength. Every little bit helps but there is a practical limit and
replacing a perfectly sound forestay seems silly.