Ken Heaton, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia Ken Heaton, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia is offline

Default Yael Trip Report

I suppose if Roger can post what he was up to last Saturday, I can:

SV Yael C&C 35 Mark I, Skipper: Ken Heaton, 1st Mate: Anne Tobin.
Crew/Guest: Ken Pye.

Saturday, September 29th. Yael departed "Moorings" dock in Northside
East Bay at 1:15 PM after rain stopped (as that is when we started to
get some wind), Main & 135 Genoa, close reaching, wind NW 10-15 knots,
building through the afternoon to NW 20-25 knots, gusts to 35. By
Benacadie Pond we were down to 1st reef in main and 1/2 furled Genoa
to keep the rail from going under and rounding up too often. Off of
Pipers Cove we furled the Genoa, Main still at 1st reef, motorsailed
and tacked, staying close to shore to avoid sailing straight into
large waves. Hot chocholate served. Arrived at the Barra Straight
Bridge at Iona by 4:30 and had to circle for several minutes before
the bridge opened, tried to hail on radio, no success; they answered
phone as bells started to ring. Headed to Maskels Harbour, arriving
at 6:00 on Cruising Club of America Mooring. we had mskels Harbour
all to ouselves, no boat or even people in sight. Homemade Fish Cakes
and Beans plus Red Wine for supper. Cribbage till 10:30, then in the
rack. Sky clears after sunset and wind drops to calm; some rain
overnight. 1st leg aprox 23.4 NM (measuring by most direct route, not
allowing for tacks), average speed 4.9 knots.

Sunday, September 30th. Blue Sky in morning but high winds even in
Maskels Harbour. Cereal, Yogurt, Bacon & Eggs, Coffee, Tea, Juice for
breakfast. Heaved at 11:15 AM after high winds abated, 1st reef in
Main, 135 Genoa; 1/2 furled Genoa when open to Baddeck Bay; under the
powerline at Munro Point at 1:30, back to full Main and Genoa; gusty
wind and motored occasionally in lulls. Lunch was served after
passing under the Seal Island Bridge, Homemade Chili & Crusty Rolls.
Great Bras d'Or Entrance (Narrows) at 3:10, little current (1 knot
out) or waves; 3 to 4 foot swell from NW in Gulf of St. Lawrence. By
Point Aconi now running downwind with full Main to port and Genoa
polled out to Starboard, surfing at 8 to 8 1/2 knots down waves, fun
ride! Off of Shag Rock at 4:30; Cran Rock at 5:00, turned to a beam
reach with full sails. Arrived at Dobson Yacht Club slip #26 by
6:45. Calm in basin. 2nd leg aprox 43.1 NM, (measuring by most
direct route, not allowing for tacks), average speed 5.7 knots.