John H. John H. is offline

Default Social Security number...

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 06:02:07 -0700, wrote:

On Oct 3, 5:15 pm, John H. wrote:
I just got the following from Consumers Union (the Consumers Report
people), and found it interesting. The link provides an easy way to send a
note to your Congressperson.

**************************************
Your Social Security number is yours--and should be protected.
Support strong federal legislation to secure your Social
Security Number.
http://email.consumerreports.org/r/c...sQ.C5Sr2S..N.C...

[or:http://tinyurl.com/26vzrd]

Your Social Security number gives thieves the key to your credit and
your money. With so many copies floating around, it's no wonder ID
theft has directly affected 1 in 4 Americans.

The Social Security Administration created your Social Security
number solely for the purpose of giving you Social Security benefits.
It has become a defacto national ID number for commercial use--but
with few or no restrictions.

We can't turn back the clock. Your private ID number is out there.
But we can stop companies from selling your Social Security number,
or printing it on documents that can be easily stolen from your mail
box or wallet.

Lawmakers concerned about your privacy recently filed strong
legislation to protect you. Help us pass this new law in 2008 with a
quick message to your own Representative now.http://email.consumerreports.org/r/c...sQ.C5Sr2S..N.C...

And once you take action yourself, please take a moment to forward
this message to your friends and family.

Sincerely,
Jim Guest
President, Consumers Union
Nonprofit publisher of Consumer Reports
101 Truman Avenue
Yonkers, NY 10703-1057

I run a business in Canada and 80% of our sales are in the US.
We are now 'required' by American law, to provide social security
numbers to US customs whenever we ship to a retail US customer.
Apparently, something Homeland Security had passed into law.
Many consumers do not want to give out their SS#. I don't blame them.
This law needs to be changed................and quickly.

If I were in your shoes, I'd try making up SSN's. Hell, illegal aliens by
the millions get by with it here, no reason you shouldn't.