Geoff Schultz Geoff Schultz is offline

Default Cruise Log from Skippy!

Wayne.B wrote in
:

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 02:11:15 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

In my view, their primary errors were (and this won't be news to them):
1) Rushing. Trying to run before "walk" has been mastered.
2) Having and relying on too many complex onboard systems, particularly
as most were unproven and have since been discovered to be NFG. (clean
version: not found good).

This may be more common than we may think.

I just spent 3 days in Baltimore inner harbor docked next to a couple
on a very nice 55 ft ketch. They are from the Great Lakes and have
never sailed over night or made an offshore passage of any type.

That said, they are planning to go offshore from the southern
Chesapeake in late October and sail non-stop to the AVI/BVI without
benefit of a stop in Bermuda. From there they are planning to sail
around the world. I just didn't have the heart to tell them what I
thought of the whole idea. Hopefully we won't be reading about them
but you have to wonder.

I've done the passage from Newport, RI and from Norfolk, VA to the BVIs
non-stop twice without stopping in Bermuda. You have to leave that late to
avoid hurricanes.

Now as far as never having done an overnight or off-shore, that's another
matter. Having said that, on my first passage from Newport, I had never
done anything of that magnitude. It didn't blow less than 32 kts for the
first 7 days and I was bruised, sore and tired, but we made it without any
real issues.

Time will only tell if they really want to sail around the world. This
will be a good test.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org