Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Cruise Log from Skippy!

On 2007-10-02 23:44:13 -0400, Wayne.B said:

I just spent 3 days in Baltimore inner harbor docked next to a couple
on a very nice 55 ft ketch. They are from the Great Lakes and have
never sailed over night or made an offshore passage of any type.

That said, they are planning to go offshore from the southern
Chesapeake in late October and sail non-stop to the AVI/BVI without
benefit of a stop in Bermuda. From there they are planning to sail
around the world. I just didn't have the heart to tell them what I
thought of the whole idea. Hopefully we won't be reading about them
but you have to wonder.

You know, I was about to say that I wouldn't hesitate to advise them
against it, but then reread and thought: We could be described
similarly though I'm considered fairly competent by those whose
opinions matter to me, the ones who have done it.

With the right boat, I might do the same thing, *particularly* going
with the annual race between Norfolk and the BVI whose name escapes me.

The idea of doing that long first step then idling downwind back to the
Bahamas appeals to me. In addition, we'd be following the warmth north.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD