Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Cruise Log from Skippy!

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 23:44:13 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 02:11:15 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

In my view, their primary errors were (and this won't be news to them):
1) Rushing. Trying to run before "walk" has been mastered.
2) Having and relying on too many complex onboard systems, particularly
as most were unproven and have since been discovered to be NFG. (clean
version: not found good).

This may be more common than we may think.

I just spent 3 days in Baltimore inner harbor docked next to a couple
on a very nice 55 ft ketch. They are from the Great Lakes and have
never sailed over night or made an offshore passage of any type.

That said, they are planning to go offshore from the southern
Chesapeake in late October and sail non-stop to the AVI/BVI without
benefit of a stop in Bermuda. From there they are planning to sail
around the world. I just didn't have the heart to tell them what I
thought of the whole idea. Hopefully we won't be reading about them
but you have to wonder.

That's a big first hop, and I don't know their capabilities.
My favorite cruiser journal so far is bumfuzzle.com.
A young couple, with virtually no sailing experience did a
circumnavigation in a 35' Wildcat (SA cat).
Sold everything in Chicago, bought the boat in Ft. Lauderdale, and
left from Miami to the Bahamas a couple months later, after I assume
boning up on boat parts and navigation.
They spent a few months in the Bahamas before heading for Panama.
I think their first overnighter wasn't until after they'd sailed in
and out of various Bahamas harbors for a few months.
They learned early how important it is to watch the weather and be
patient about departures, and aside from a couple mishaps had what
seemed to be a pretty smooth trip around the world.
Anyway, a good read. They caught a lot of flak from the "cruising
community" for their boldness, but had a hell of a good time.
The journal never makes a big deal of their mariner expertise, but
the results show they were smart, and on their toes.
I think their initial approach was a good one, taking some baby steps
first, unlike the couple you mentioned.

--Vic