Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Water tanks - alum or plastic?

On 2007-10-02 15:40:40 -0400, druid said:

I've always seen plastic watertanks, but the boat I'm buying has an old
aluminum one (I think it's alum: it's metal, and not SS). Is there any
advantage to alum over plastic or vice-versa? I'm planning on
replacing it with a bigger one, and first I thought plastic, but should
I consider aluminum instead? I've always disliked the "plastic" taste
in the water from a plastic tank.

I prefer aluminum over plastic and wouldn't replace a perfectly good
tank with a bigger one, but would add tanks in otherwise unused corners
of the boat.

Our tank is plastic. We have a filter in-line for mostly sediment but
the charcoal element removed the last of the plastic and other
objectionable components (unless I leave the tank full for a Chesapeake
summer week or three, which will overload any filter.)

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD