Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Water tanks - alum or plastic?

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 12:40:40 -0700, druid wrote:

I've always seen plastic watertanks, but the boat I'm buying has an old
aluminum one (I think it's alum: it's metal, and not SS). Is there any
advantage to alum over plastic or vice-versa? I'm planning on replacing it
with a bigger one, and first I thought plastic, but should I consider
aluminum instead? I've always disliked the "plastic" taste in the water
from a plastic tank.

My old boat had an aluminum water tank and it was fine. The one
before that was stainless steel. My present boat has black iron
(steel) tanks. No problems with any of them. On the other hand if
the plastic tank is properly designed and mounted, and sheilded from
UV damage, it should last a long time.