John H. John H. is offline

Default Immigrant ancestors?

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 12:45:53 -0700, Chuck Gould
wrote:

On Oct 2, 12:29?pm, John H. wrote:
If your ancestors came through Ellis Island you haven't looked up their
arrival documents, ship, etc, you may find this site interesting. I found
the documentation of my grandparents' arrival from Holland in 1914, and
also documentation of another trip the family took in 1924.

Interesting, and...they came by boat!

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/pa...12130239015584...

or

http://tinyurl.com/25eh2p

But contrary to popular belief, your ancestors *didn't* go through
Ellis Island if they booked first class passage on the steamship.

Under the logical assumption that "folks with money are automatically
going to be healthy", it was Lady Liberty's "tired, poor, hungry,
huddled masses" that were quarantined on Ellis Island. The upper
classes were
briefly interviewed at the head of the gangway and then allowed
directly into the US.

Mine sure as hell didn't go first class. They were recruited to be a farmer
family to help raise food for workers on the Great Northern Railway
Company. My grandfather's first job was as a dairy worker for the
Stillwater Prison farm.