Gene Kearns Gene Kearns is offline

Default Capt. Francis....

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 13:28:01 -0400, Eisboch penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

"Tim" wrote in message
roups.com...
Something I've always wondered.

OK, some of my Great Grandparents came from Germany in 1858 and were
legally married by the capt. of the ship before entering port into the
US. (Louisiana) It was a larger passenger type vessel from what I
understand.

Now, question is. Can you or ANY licensed capt. perform the same duty?

Just curious.

Thanks!

Not Tom, but the answer to your question is no, unless you also are
certified by your state to perform marriages as a notary, justice of the
peace or clergy).

It used to be authorized within territorial waters, but holding a USCG
license no longer (by itself) sufficient to legally marry anyone.

BTW .... Anybody know where the traditional "3 mile" territorial limit
originated?

Maximum range of shore batteries!

As for the marriage thing.... I was asked that when I first got my
Captains License.... and I assumed, like everybody else, that I was
then granted the power to marry.....

For American captains (marrying Americans.... anything else and
legality gets complicated.....)

......the captain may perform the ceremony, if they are a judge, a
justice of the peace, a minister or an officially recognized official
such as a Notary Public he can marry.

Of course, if you read through that, you realize that the privilege to
hold the ceremony has nothing to do with being a captain!

In fact, there is a Federal Law that prohibits the practice by US Navy
captains!
http://tinyurl.com/32xrv2

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
http://pamandgene.idleplay.net/

Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats