posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,sci.engr.mech
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Potable Water - The Third Way.

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 19:44:35 -0700, Keith Hughes
wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 17:43:02 -0500, Brian Whatcott
wrote:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 20:40:57 GMT, (Richard
Casady) wrote:

There is a reverse osmosis watermaker intended for liferaft use, with
a hand pump, and RO takes hundreds of psi. That is what you want, if
you actually need high pressure.

Casady

I looked up an example
The Katadyn Survivor 35 hand pumped was formerly
called the PUR Survivor 35 RO.
At 30 strokes/minute for 1.2 gall/hr - it costs $1500.

Calorie expenditure by the survivor(s) could be a problem here.

Oh yeah, right. Now you want to survive also. Geez, what next? :-)

The strokes for this RO unit can probably be performed by devising a
simple hydraulic pump to move gears, cams, and levers.
The pump cylinder itself would probably need an inverted U tube with
legs perhaps 32' or 33' long.
An initial vacuum might be applied to the top of the U-tube by using a
fitting that can be connected to the PUR Survivor 35 RO.
Once the water starts flowing through the vane at one end of the U
tube, and the vane shaft is turning the gears, cams and levers will be
clacking way, running that PUR unit on auto, good as gold.
After that it's all gravy until you have to change the membrane.
In the meantime you can spend your time fishing until rescued.

Sounds like perpetual motion to me, but I'm having a hard time
envisioning what you're describing above.

Sorry, it was all said jokingly, but appears to be a poor joke.
I just went in a circle from the perpetual U-tube distiller to that
concept being employed to perpetually pump a purchased RO unit.
I never intended to make sense, except maybe to say it's time to go
fishing.

--Vic