posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,sci.engr.mech
Keith Hughes Keith Hughes is offline

Default Potable Water - The Third Way.

Wow, Pearls! Let this swine take a look and see if he can root them out...

jim.isbell wrote:
I give up. My Masters degree in Physics is of no value here. My
Bachelors degree in Math is of no value here. My 20 years with the
university (retired) means nothing. Someone with an opinion (however
false) instead of facts of physical science, seems to be more able to
swing the belief of the uninformed.

I stand (sit actually) abashed in the light of your professed achievements.

I will try to explain it again.

The vacuum will hold the column of water in the tube.

Pearl #1? Hmmm, no. No one claimed otherwise. continued rooting sound

snip irrelevancies related to above statement

Thats why a lift pump like the old rocker handle pitcher pumps have to
be replaced with either submerged or Jet pumps in deeper wells. A
lesser column WILL work however. At the top is a vacuum. If its 32
feet, thats the greatest vacuum you can create. There is salt water
on one side and fresh water on the other. The salt water will boil
earlier because of the salt content.

Pearl #1? Hmmm, alas no. Physics relating ionic strength and boiling
point of water must have changed since your education. continued
rooting sound

Now test that statement.
Put a pot on the stove and then before it comes to a boil add salt.
Voila, it begins to boil.

Pearl #1? Hmmm, no dice here either. It's called *nucleation*. Ever
notice the water *stops* boiling as soon as the salt is fully dissolved?
And doesn't boil again until the new, higher, boiling point is
reached? Try it. continued rooting sound

The fresh water column is sealed at the bottom and fresh water, as it
builds a higher column, can be drawn off WITH A PUMP. You cannot open
the bottom of the tube to get the water out or you will break the
vacuum.

Pearl #1? Hmmm, not yet. Of course you can pull water from the BOTTOM
of the freshwater column - if its end is below the freshwater reservoir
level. Just like the seawater side is. Elevate the freshwater
reservoir, decant to maintain column height. No pump needed. How hard
was that? continued rooting sound

snip

Also, I make no
representation as to the efficiency of such a system, only that it
WILL work.

Pearl #1? Hmmm, well, maybe a tiny, dull one - well, maybe not, no one
said it wouldn't work. And if you think the 'perpetual motion'
reference was to this system, then learn to read. That post was about
*RO* and using this system as a hydraulic pump mechanism. continued
rooting sound

Now, I have nothing more to say on the subject as I don't have the
time to waste. I didn't realize I would have to go into such
miniscule detail. I have been casting my pearls before swine and I
dont have the time for that. If someone with an appropriate education
and who has done the above experiments as I outlined, would like to
contact me off list I would be willing to discuss it. BUT...if you
are supposing, without knowledge, using feelings for facts, DONT
bother me.

OK Mr. Oyster. Oh, and by-the-by, *you* choose to be bothered or not, we
don't do that for you. Have fun in bivalvia...

Keith Hughes