posted to alt.sailing.asa
katy katy is offline

Default prop paint

Bloody Horvath wrote:
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 18:56:33 -0700, "www.sig.gr"
wrote this crap:

You still need to paint it with a primer and then with special
antifouling for props which is harder than normal antifouling paint.
And of course you need to run the prop once a week as some guys said!
And yes Bronze props Do get barnacles if you dont run it!!!

Really? I never get barnacles on mine. Boat builders used to put tin
or copper on the bottom of boats to keep off the barnacles, because
barnacles wouldn't grow on those. Today's bottom paint is copper
based. Isn't your prop made out of an alloy of copper and tin?

I've never seen any barnacles on any props of any boats in my marina.
No barnacles. Not one. No zebra mussels either.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

When we were still in Michigan, even using a copper based bottom paint
(VC 17) and having a bronze prop, we still had a few zebra mussels at
the end of wach season...and I do not believe there are barnacles in
fresh watr so you don't have to worry about that at all...Now we hire a
diver to dive down and scrape several times a year...the Neuse is a
dirty old river, fill of things like physteria (sp) from all the hog
farming upriver...not going to get in there if it's not an emergency...