posted to alt.sailing.asa
[email protected] dougking888@yahoo.com is offline

Default Mainsail Controls

"Capt. JG" wrote:
I've seen this happen also... or similar anyway, but a preventer does do
something even a good helmsman can't do... not require 100% focus for
several days or hours. Even an excellent helmsman needs a pee break from
time to time.

True.

That's why it should *always* be school time when sailing. GIving
other people practice and coaching; and getting coaching from others
who have skills you want to develop, is one of the best parts of
sailing IMHO. and it means that you should always have a relief helms-
person.

The times I've sailed other people's boats with preventers rigged, it
always seemed more in the way than helpful.

"Capt. JG" wrote:
I would qualify that by saying "many times" instead of always.

Agreed. I could also say "in my limited experience" since my
experience has been limited to the times when it was more in the
way

DSK