posted to alt.sailing.asa
[email protected] dougking888@yahoo.com is offline

Default Mainsail Controls

"Capt. JG" wrote:
I'm not sure I'd consider the cringles mainsheet control. They don't really
contribute to it.

Sure they do.
If you're talking about shape controls, then they only affect the
shape in a negative way. But they certainly control the main, they
keep the reefed section bundled up & control it from blowing all over
the place.

Downhaul.. as in using cunningham?

Same thing for shape, but different controls. The hand brake or
parking brake is different from the regular brake on your car, right?

The cunningham is esentially a rule cheater. It provides a way to
increase luff tension without pulling the sail outside the black
bands.

You're right, technically, that the backstay adjustments affect the mast
directly, but the effect is to change the shape of the main (and jib I
suppose).

How about boom brake or jibe-preventer? :-)

I'd consider that a "control line" but don't like them and have never
used them on a boat I was skippering. If you can't avoid gybing, or
keep control of the boom when gybing, then you need practice on the
helm & sheet!
OTOH for a long cruise with a windvane or autopilot, they are useful
but in the way.

DSK