posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Mainsail Controls

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 27, 3:31 am, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Bart" wrote in message

ups.com...

Not counting the halyard and mainsheet,
I can think of 12 other mainsail control
lines. What am I thinking of? [1 pt]

Hmmm... traveler, outhaul, cunningham, reefing lines (x3), leech line,
topping lift, boom vang, adjustable backstay, preventer, lazy jacks (or
Dutchman or StackPak), furling line (for boom or main), perhaps a boom
bolt
rope, I've heard of batten control lines.

Downhaul?

Reef cringles?

For a gaff, include peak & throat halyards, plus the gaff outhaul. For
other rigs such as a lug or sprit, you would have buntlines & brails
as well. On some sprit sails (like an Opti) you have a snotter. Great
name for a line!

There have been rigs that had tackles for bending the boom on each
tack. Others have had a zippered shelf along the foot with a line to
control it.

If you include the backstay, which does certainly affect the main but
is really for adjusting & controlling the mast rather than the
mainsail directly-
Running backstay?
Checkstay?
Babystay?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

I'm not sure I'd consider the cringles mainsheet control. They don't really
contribute to it.

Downhaul.. as in using cunningham?

You're right, technically, that the backstay adjustments affect the mast
directly, but the effect is to change the shape of the main (and jib I
suppose).

How about boom brake or jibe-preventer? :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com