posted to alt.sailing.asa
[email protected] dougking888@yahoo.com is offline

Default Mainsail Controls

On Sep 27, 3:31 am, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Bart" wrote in message

ups.com...

Not counting the halyard and mainsheet,
I can think of 12 other mainsail control
lines. What am I thinking of? [1 pt]

Hmmm... traveler, outhaul, cunningham, reefing lines (x3), leech line,
topping lift, boom vang, adjustable backstay, preventer, lazy jacks (or
Dutchman or StackPak), furling line (for boom or main), perhaps a boom bolt
rope, I've heard of batten control lines.

Downhaul?

Reef cringles?

For a gaff, include peak & throat halyards, plus the gaff outhaul. For
other rigs such as a lug or sprit, you would have buntlines & brails
as well. On some sprit sails (like an Opti) you have a snotter. Great
name for a line!

There have been rigs that had tackles for bending the boom on each
tack. Others have had a zippered shelf along the foot with a line to
control it.

If you include the backstay, which does certainly affect the main but
is really for adjusting & controlling the mast rather than the
mainsail directly-
Running backstay?
Checkstay?
Babystay?