posted to alt.sailing.asa
Terry K Terry K is offline

Default Mainsail Controls

On Sep 27, 4:31 am, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Bart" wrote in message

ups.com...

Not counting the halyard and mainsheet,
I can think of 12 other mainsail control
lines. What am I thinking of? [1 pt]

Hmmm... traveler, outhaul, cunningham, reefing lines (x3), leech line,
topping lift, boom vang, adjustable backstay, preventer, lazy jacks (or
Dutchman or StackPak), furling line (for boom or main), perhaps a boom bolt
rope, I've heard of batten control lines.

--
"j" ganz

You forgot chokers for each reef point, which loosen between the mast
track and halyard tack below the reef tack allowing the sail to set
smoother at the foot and permit adjusting the cunningham or gooseneck
downhaul while reefed. The traveler includes 3 adjustments: the main
sheet and the port and stbd traveler control lines.

All this presupposes a marconi rig. There are many other main sail
types, which include other control lines, one of which I believe would
be called a gullet. What does it do?

Another would be a brace.

Another would be a parrel, one of possibly 7 or 8, What does it do, to
what sort of sail?

Remember to think global and act local.

Terry K