posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Bart is offline

Default Daysailor's Portable Stove -- JetBoil

On Sep 25, 7:29 am, Frank Boettcher wrote:
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 01:22:38 -0700, Bart
wrote:

On Sep 24, 11:30 am, Frank Boettcher wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 18:07:50 -0400, katy
wrote:

Bloody Horvath wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 08:20:25 -0400, katy
wrote this crap:

I bought

one of those even though I don't drink coffee.
I can see that it would be nice for those who
have to have coffee to function. I have not
tried that yet on anyone.

Wht not just use a thermos? Lots less hassle....

That's where you should keep your rum. Mixed with the coffee, of
course.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

I prefer Bailey's in my coffee....

We used to sail from Gulfport harbor to the Broadwater Marina, about
six miles in the dead of the winter just to get an Irish coffee at the
bar. Now we could comfortably drive to the Broadwater, but then what
would be the point?

I back pack with a group and I can tell you that anything that can cut
down the amount of fuel you have to bring on a week long backpacking
trip is going to be a big seller.

Frank

I'm wondering if that mantleless stove will work on
the partially used canisters I have laying around. I
tend to change cans when i think I'm low rather than
carrying a spare. That would be a good way to finish
off the nearly empties.

Do the same thing with small propane cylinders for my lightweight fish
cooker. Don't want to run out in the middle of the cooking cycle, so
change it out. Always have a few partials around. In the winter I
use them up by hooking them up to my shop heater to take the chill off
the shop. Doesn't take but a few minutes to burn off the balance at
16K btu

These things are pretty light Frank. I've heard that when
the fuel starts to run out they don't work as well. This is
not a problem for me in my application. Apparently the
propane in the blend burns off first, then the isobutane
becomes a problem when it is cold and at high altitude.
The issues are starting and keeping it hot and burning.

I currently use a Peak I multi-fuel. It hs been extraodinarily
reliable and runs hot with good turndown. However, it is a little
heavy and, in the cold weather when doing a lot of hot drinks a tank
of fuel will last at best a day. Requires additional heavy fuel for
multiday trips. So, a lighter, more fuel efficient unit is on the
consideration list, after the lighter bags, water filter, etc........

Frank

You can pick up these JetBoils for around $70 with shipping
on eBay. I'd like to buy a companion cup w/out the stove
for friends that come out with me. I won't pay more than $20
with shipping for one of those. It may take a while to find
one in my price range. I feel that if I have to pay more
than this, I might as well get a spare stove for backup. It
isn't much more weight and you would have a spare fuel
canister as well.