Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Is a bell required?

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 02:12:19 -0000, "
wrote:

Having blundered around with the rule changes several times today I'm
reluctant to jump in again but it seems to me that if you have a bell
or something that makes a bell sound then you should use it if you are
over 12m just like you used to before 2003. For INTERNATIONAL waters
33 and 35 no longer require the bell for 12-20 meters and allow the
substitution of some other sound signal. I think that the wording
"not be obligated ... however, if she does not" in 35, implies that
the bell is still allowed or even preferred. As written, the INLAND
rules still REQUIRES the bell under rules 33 and 35 for 12 meters in
the USA, but I have it from several sources, some of them usually
reliable, that the Coast Guard is enforcing the INTERNATIONAL version
of rules 33 and 35 even INLAND. However, only the USGG can make the
determination of what the rule is in US waters. To get a definitive
answer the OP will have to ask them.

In truth the only boat that I have ever heard using a bell in the fog
is the Staten Island ferry. The small bells used on most pleasure
boats are virtually inaudible over engine noise in my experience.
There's really nothing like a good air horn if you want to be heard.

The only time I've ever been boarded/inspected by USCG was several
years ago on inland waters. They had no interest in the bell at all.
Their hot buttons that day were life preservers, throwable device,
fire extinguishers, horn and documents.