[email protected] tsmwebb@gmail.com is offline

Default Is a bell required?

On Sep 24, 4:28 pm, " wrote:
... However, only the USGG can make the
determination of what the rule is in US waters. To get a definitive
answer the OP will have to ask them. ...

You may ask them hehttp://www.navcen.uscg.gov/misc/NIS_contact_us.htm

-- Tom.

And, to reply to my post again, I did check and they said you still
need a bell. So I was wrong. Again. The quote follows:

Greetings:

I understand there has been some confusion concerning the requirement
for a bell and the sounding of it. Our interpretation of Rule 33
Inland is based on checking with our Maritime and International Law
office. My office posed the following question after the change was
made to COLREGS that vessels 12 meters or more but less than 20 meters
no longer require a bell.
How does Inland Rule 1(b)(ii) apply? For example a 15 meter vessel
constructed to per International regs does not need a bell. Now that
vessel wants to operate in US Inland waters where Inland Rules apply.
Does it need a bell?
The answer is: Yes, until the Inland Rules are changed (and currently
they are statutory), a vessel that operates on waters subject to those
rules must comply with those rules, not withstanding that I doesn't
have to be equipped with a bell when it is on COLREGs waters.
While the manufacturer does not need to ensure that the vessel is
constructed with a bell, the operator is responsible to sound the
appropriate sound signals per Inland Rules.
As a side note, while COLREGS eliminated the bell, the COLREGS do
state:
(i) A vessel of 12 meters or more but less than 20 meters in length
shall not be obliged to give the bell signals prescribed in paragraphs
(g) and (h) of this Rule. However, if she does not, she shall make
some other efficient sound signal at intervals of not more than 2
minutes.
The vessel is still required on COLREGs to provide some kind of sound
signal.

We hope this addresses your inquiry. In our continuing efforts to
provide service to the public, please inform us if this answer was
helpful.

Sincerely,

USCG Navigation Center
Navigation Information Service