posted to alt.sailing.asa
Frogwatch Frogwatch is offline

Default Too many toys

On Sep 25, 10:56 am, "Scotty" wrote:
"Bloody Horvath" wrote in message

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 19:58:28 -0400, "Scotty"

wrote this
crap:

What, no motorcycles?

He's too wussy for motorcycles. My collection of vintage

Harleys is
quite impressive.

do you have a 1948, 45?

Being the ultimate geek would have been a problem a generation ago
when they were held in low esteem but geeks have been fairly
successful today. In my case, I was able to get my attention span all
the way up to 20 minutes in grad school (physics). You know those
classes that are often taught at conferences where they cram a
semesters worth of stuff into 8 hours, I dont even consider them. My
being unable to watch movies makes my wife crazy, especially when I
get bored 10 minutes before the end and get up and walk away. I am
unable to read facial expressions or "the look in someones eyes" and
until I was 20 did not even know that such existed and had to train
myself to look at peoples eyes but still dont see anything. At a
cocktail party someone can introduce themselves and 5 minutes later
could introduce themselves as someone different and I would be
clueless. This has had some embarassing consequences.
Fortunately, my two older kids did not inherit this. Unfortunately,
my 11 yr old daughter did. She obsesses over Google Earth and gets so
obsessed with certain topics she makes you crazy talking about them
(right now it is caves). A male can get away with this because if he
is independent enough he can simply go his own way but I fear that
life will be very tough for a girl like this. She has no idea that
other little girls think she is weird and as her few friends get older
and more interested in normal girl stuff they will abandon her and it
will break my heart. When I see her staring at maps, I feel happy
that she is like me but then I realize her fate to not have the social
network that girls need. She is already alien to my wife who doesnt
understand her. My wife couldnt find her way out of a paper bag but
we let little Katie have the map and be navigator on trips.