Gene Kearns Gene Kearns is offline

Default What guage wire??

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 22:10:43 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing penned the
following well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 21:47:32 GMT, "Canuck57"
wrote:

Never solder cable subject to vibration. Just don't do it. Or you will
have to rework it in time, likely on the water. The strands will flex an
break, the insulation will degrade and when few strands are left the current
will burn the rest out. That is if the solder joint isn't cold or cracks.

In the installation we are discussing, solder will strengthen the
mechanical bond.

And increase the likelihood that you will end up with a wire in one
hand and a tightly adhered 1/2 inch of wire and lug in the other.

Even with a production level mechanical crimper, it is almost
impossible to prevent vibration from loosening the connectors.

I absolutely do not agree. Even if so, that is why we use adhesive
heat shrink. Properly installed crimps with heat shrink won't work
harden, corrode, and certainly won't come apart....

Soldering prevents that. The only truly effective battery connection
is a molded lead/tin casting onto the cable and gues what...

That's the same effect as soldering.

Any it is why these things sell like hot cakes....
http://tinyurl.com/36bwhp

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
http://pamandgene.idleplay.net/

Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats