JohnC

Default Horror story..Need advice on 175HP Merc with a couple scored cylinders.

This isn't a new motor. I don't need the thing to perform like a race boat,
I just need it to be semi reliable.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and possibly offer input (at least
condolences ;0) ).

Rich

Sorry to hear about all this trouble.
My opinion is that;

1) You probably won't be happy just replacing a couple parts...you'll
end up with continuing problems and always be wondering if it will
get you home.

2) You said you're sick of working on it. Doing the rebuild is going
to take up a lot of your time.

3) How much boating time has already been wasted with this?

I'd go for the rebuilt block and get it back on the water asap.
You're already going to save a bunch of money putting it all back
together yourself, so that should be somewhat comforting.

I do as much work as I can myself as well. Too many lousy mechanics
out there who will dick you around like that.

Best luck on it!

John C.