Tim Tim is offline

Default What guage wire??

On Sep 23, 11:31 am, "JimH" ask wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

I want to install my battery in the bow of my 16 foot skiff. The
battery will power the starter for a 25 horse electric start
evinrude.
The total cable length will be 18 feet, no breaks. What guage wire do
I need to use, do I need to use something as big as a car like 4
guage, or can I use 8?? How many amps does a typical 25 horse starter
draw?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just Wait

Besides Gene's suggestion, this discussion may also be of some help:http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000565.html

8 will probably do ok. but if you have access to 4 it would be
better. the brush leads in the starter itself, if combined don't equal
about 8 ga., so 8 will probably work, but 4 would work better.