Don White Don White is offline

Default What guage wire??

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 23, 11:27 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

I want to install my battery in the bow of my 16 foot skiff. The
battery will power the starter for a 25 horse electric start
evinrude.
The total cable length will be 18 feet, no breaks. What guage wire do
I need to use, do I need to use something as big as a car like 4
guage, or can I use 8?? How many amps does a typical 25 horse starter
draw?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just Wait

The wire should always be thicker than the largest drill bit you have on
hand to make the necessary holes, and all the stores are closed. It's
inevitable.

That would be some pretty big frekin' wire. I am a tool guy.
Anyways, I have some calculations here somewhere if someone can tell
me what that starter should draw... somewhere... Hopefully one of you
can just tell me what guage I should be using

Your buddy Tom should be able to tell you that. Somewhere he has my
phamplets for the starter motor he installed on the Johnson 25 on my
Princecraft.