Default What guage wire??

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 15:19:31 -0000,
penned the following well considered thoughts to the readers of
rec.boats:

I want to install my battery in the bow of my 16 foot skiff. The
battery will power the starter for a 25 horse electric start
evinrude.
The total cable length will be 18 feet, no breaks. What guage wire do
I need to use, do I need to use something as big as a car like 4
guage, or can I use 8?? How many amps does a typical 25 horse starter
draw?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just Wait

First, if the distance from the starter to the battery is 16 feet....
use 32 feet for your calculation.

You could probably get by with 4 GA, but for the difference in price,
I'd probably go with 2 GA.

BUY MARINE GRADE CABLE, BATTERY BOX, AND HARDWARE.

Do you have the tools to do this? You are going to need a heavy
crimper and a heat gun.... not cheap!

Bernz-O or someone makes an inexpensive butane torch about the size of an
electric toothbrush. Works fine with heat shrink tubing assuming 4 things:

1) No strong wind

2) Practice on a piece of scrap wire first.

3) Practice on a piece of scrap wire first.

4) Practice on a piece of scrap wire first.