posted to rec.boats.building
pete pete is offline

Default Polishing stainless steel

He-he, thanks guys, brushed finish it will be; I thought it might be
too much. Never thought about the electoplating though, maybe I'll try
that on the mast support tube running thru my table.......

Pete

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 07:05:46 +0700, wrote:

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 19:24:58 +0200, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

Pete,
Take Bruce's advise and get it done. The dust from polishing is super
hazmat. You need special dust equipment and a professional filter mask
Steve

"pete" wrote in message
. ..
Can anyone tell me how to polish raw stainless steel to get the nice
shiny finish? I can get it up to a satin "brushed finish" with a belt
sander, but I'd like to get it a bit nicer as its for my chainplates
and bolted for all to see on a bulkhead. They are 316L btw, if that
makes any difference. If its a load of hard work perhaps I'll leave
the brushed finish..........

Ta in advance

Pete

True the "dust" from polishing contains metal particles together with
abrasives which probably are not expelled from the lungs easily but I
wouldn't call them "super hamate" exactly as the polishing compounds
are generally greasy and it isn't really "dust" but more a sort of
"greasy grunge" for want of a better word. If I were doing much of it
I would take the same precautions one would take power sanding it.

It is a filthy job though as the residue gets all over the place,
including the person doing the job.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)