posted to rec.boats.building
[email protected] brucedpaige@gmail.com is offline

Default Polishing stainless steel

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:57:41 -0000, roger
wrote:

On Sep 18, 8:42 am, "Ron Magen" wrote:
"pete" wrote
SNIP
If its a load of hard work perhaps I'll leave the brushed finish..........

Pete,
As Bruce spelled it out . . . not necessarilly 'hard' work . . . but most
certainly 'a LOAD'.

If you used the belt sander for 'shaping', that's O.K. However for
'finishing' it's a bit to much for good control. If it's really rough I'd
start with a small 'quarter sheet' sander and 220 paper. Then go to hand
sanding with progressively finer papers {and a lighter touch}- 320, 400,
600. That should get you to a nice 'Satin'. If you want to go further, grits
of 800 to about 2000 are typially available at your local auto supply
store - Paint section.

However, I'm with Lew . . . knock off the 'big chunks' and go sailing !!

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

I am with Lew and Ron, just go with the satin finish , accept a little
bit of rust staining and go sailing! Its too much work to polish them
out. I made chainplates for my boat from 316L and got sick of trying
to polish them. I got to 220 grit on a sander and let it go at that.
One year later there was some rust staining but it wasn't that bad.
BUT if you just Have to have mirror finish plates, send them out for
electropolishing.

A later thought - get it polished by an outside shop. Most chrome
plating shops will take small lots of stainless to be polished. Check
the yellow pages or a custom motorcycle or car builder to locate.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)