posted to rec.boats.building
Ron Magen Ron Magen is offline

Default Polishing stainless steel

"pete" wrote
SNIP
If its a load of hard work perhaps I'll leave the brushed finish..........

Pete,
As Bruce spelled it out . . . not necessarilly 'hard' work . . . but most
certainly 'a LOAD'.

If you used the belt sander for 'shaping', that's O.K. However for
'finishing' it's a bit to much for good control. If it's really rough I'd
start with a small 'quarter sheet' sander and 220 paper. Then go to hand
sanding with progressively finer papers {and a lighter touch}- 320, 400,
600. That should get you to a nice 'Satin'. If you want to go further, grits
of 800 to about 2000 are typially available at your local auto supply
store - Paint section.

However, I'm with Lew . . . knock off the 'big chunks' and go sailing !!

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop