posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising
Meindert Sprang Meindert Sprang is offline

Default AIS hardware and software

"Larry" wrote in message
Meindert,

No flame intended, really! What are the typical problems with USB hubs?
Thanks!

I suspect you mean serial/usb converters?

Many of them don't have an internal serial number so the created com port
changes when you plug it into a different USB port. All of them support the
M$ Plug & Play support for serial ports which means Windows thinks your GPS
is a mouse. Many of them don't work as supplied, wrong drivers and that sort
of stuff.

If you really meant USB hubs, then I don't know of any problems with them
apart from being able to be powered from 12V or 24V.

Meindert