Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Should I learn celestial navigation before doing circumnavigation?

wrote:

I used my boat hook several times summer - since my boat only draws 3
feet and the hook extends to over 8 feet, I don't see where the problem
would be. There have been times in the Keys when I stood on the bottom
to see if we'd have enough at low.

Well, if you have six foot tides you might have a problem :-)

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

Here's the spot where I used the boat hook (Misery Island, Salem Bay, MA):

http://www.sv-loki.com/IMGP1025.jpg

The tides there are about 10 feet. The spot where we're at in the
picture has about 4 feet under the keel at low, but the previous night
we were on the red mooring on the far right and early in the morning I
determined that we were headed for a deficit of an inch or two (because
of an extreme low), so we moved over.

In the Keys, of course, the tides are generally two feet or less.