posted to alt.sailing.asa
Martin Baxter Martin Baxter is offline

Default Fuzz Buster

Joe wrote:

On Sep 17, 8:25 am, Martin Baxter wrote:
Joe wrote:

Anyone here ever use a fuzz buster as a Radar dector offshore? I was
told they work great and sound off at 5 miles + offshore if pinged by
Radar.

Joe

Worried about getting pulled over for speeding Joe? Man I heard those
Texas Rangers are tough.

Cheers
Marty

No, rather getting run over by a ship. An electronic guru told me you
can use the old 70-80's era fuzz buster's as offshore radar
detectors. Says they work as good as or better than the expensive
marine brands.

Joe

Just joking Joe. I think you'd be better of than most of us, with that
big steel radar reflector under you. If you do detect that someone has
swept their radar beam over you I suppose you might gain a little more
time to determine their course and possibly do something to avoid being
run over. I'm pretty sure that the radar detector would work to a much
greater distance than they do with police radar guns, simply because
your typical marine radar is thousands of times more powerful. Police
radar guns typically emit 15 to 50 milliwatts, the radar on a commercial
vessel is likely to be up around 25Kw.

On more thing, marine radar is X band so make sure that your fuzz buster
is X band capable.

Cheers
Marty