posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa
Froggie Froggie is offline

Default fixing my Garmin 76 GPS

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
ups.com...
I wanted to pass on a method I used to fix my handheld Garmin GPS 76
that might be useful for similar units. One of the push buttons had
come out meaning that I could no longer access that function without
pushing something into the unit to press the membrane pad where the
switch had been. I squirted a little 3m5200 into the hole to form a
new "button" and it is just flexible enough to form a good button for
pressing the membrane AND it re-seals the unit to make it waterproof
again.

Did you check with Garmin to see if it was still under warrantee? They are
pretty good like that. I had a problem with my GPSMAP 76CS when I hooked it
into the circuitry with my Cobra VHF Radio using the data line. It wouldn't
boot up when I turned on the main power unless I disconnected the external
power/data line plug first, booted it up on its battery power, then
reconnected the plug. On talking to one of the Garmin reps, I was told it
shouldn't do that and to send it back for evaluation at the end of the
boating season. They were able to recreate the problem and sent me a brand
spankin' new one. BTW, this was long after my warrantee expired.