posted to alt.sailing
Hal Hal is offline

Default Questions : Kayaking with Boats present

On Sep 16, 6:10 am, Matt Colie wrote:

Come back and discuss more this after you have spent a day either as
first responder at one of these incidents or maybe just one pleasant
afternoon as a member of the recovery team diving in search of the
bodies of the victims of a boater such as you seem to support.

There has never been anyplace that I have been where there was effective
law enforcement on the water. Please don't tell me to leave it to them.
That will start another set of really dreadful stories I have
accumulated in years of cleaning up after people such as yourself.

Thank you your opinion.

Matt Colie

I'm well aware of the contents of this thread.
As anyone, with more than a cursory understanding of the written word,
will also be aware you you're advocating taking pot shots at other
boaters

"Dave,
This is why all of my handguns are stainless.
remember that most of the small boats in use are fiberglass and all
the
newer ones have floation. But, if you can get a couple of holes in
the
bow, below the rest waterline, the boat won't sink until it stops.
This
way, the passengers will not be at little risk but the boat will
probably be out of commission for a significant period.

BTW----Funny that you should mention speeding boats and law
enforcement.

Perhaps you're related to Lake County's Chief Deputy Sheriff Russell
Perdock?

CLEAR LAKE, Calif., Aug. 13, 2007 (KGO) - Authorities in Lake County
are being accused of trying to protect one of their own. The number
two man in the Lake County Sheriff's Department was involved in a
boating accident that killed a woman on Clear Lake, 50 miles north of
Santa Rosa.

It might seem like a simple case at first glance. A power boat slams
into a sailboat at night, killing a woman. However, one person's been
charged in the death, not the power boat driver or the sailboat owner,
but the man who happened to be steering the sailboat.

April 29th, 2006 started out as a good day for Bismarck Dinius. He
sailed in a regatta on Clear Lake, ate dinner at a local yacht club,
and headed out for a sunset cruise on a friend's boat.

Bismarck Dinius: "Just one of those chance things, they were heading
their way down towards the dock and you know, running across me, 'hey,
we're going out right now, do you want to go for a ride?'"

It was a dark night on the water with no moon and very little wind.
The five friends sailed for about half an hour, then turned back
toward the dock. They didn't see the power boat bearing down on them.

Peter Elmer, Retired Police Sergeant: "My estimate was about 50 miles
an hour, which is quite fast, especially at nighttime."

People on shore watched this tragedy unfold, including a retired
police sergeant who oversaw the marine unit for East Bay Regional
Parks.

Peter Elmer: "I said to everybody who was sitting on the dock,
'there's a clown that's either going to kill himself or somebody
else.' I kind of regret saying that now, but I knew immediately that
this guy was going way too fast for the conditions."

The power boat hit the sailboat from the rear with tremendous force.
It flew on top of the sailboat, crushing the cabin, snapping the mast,
landing in the water in front of the sailboat.

Jennifer Patterson, witness: "All of a sudden, everybody started
screaming."

Gina Seago: "They were all calling for help, 'somebody help us', and
everything."