Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Should I learn celestial navigation before doing circumnavigation?

wrote:

You know it's kind of funny. Everyone talks about using an archaic
method of determining position and never mention using either a lead
line to determine depth or a chip log to determine speed.

I carry a lead line, and use it on occasion, usually when moored in very
tight quarters. I also have a knot log, but that's a display item at
home. However, for many years I estimated speed by tossing a piece of
paper overboard and timing its travel alongside. In a few minutes
anyone can make a "chip log table" calibrated for their boat.

The difference is that anyone can tie a wrench on a rope and they have a
lead line. No special equipment or training is needed, just a bit of
common sense.

How come all the advocates of a relative low tech method of
determining a position never mention that the system is unusable for
navigation in tight spaces, narrow channels, etc. and dead reckoning
or taking sights or measuring depth will be necessary.

A sextant can be helpful for coastal navigation, but celestial clearly
has its limitations. And I will admit that my new chartplotter allowed
me to go places in the Maine fog this summer that I never would have in
the past.

The more interesting question would be how many boats practice basic
plotting such as running fixes? How many turn off their GPS for a day
and run down the coast with bearings? How many use the depth sounder
for part of their fix? These are the skills that should be learned.

I never hear anyone recommend having a lead line on board in case your
electronic depth sounder fails

I've mentioned it several times. But its so obvious, I didn't think it
needed daily comment.

or a chip log mounted on the stern
pulpit in case your electronic speed log fails.

My speed log is so unreliable I never expect it to run!

I am not saying that one shouldn't learn celestial navigation or not
carry extra life jackets but it is no longer a necessary skill.

Its surprising how many of the old timers actually didn't know
celestial. Before radio an accurate clock was needed for longitude, and
that was beyond the budget of a lot of ships. For all the talk of the
lunar methods, very few mariners actually used it.

FWIW, I have five sextants, but have not carried one on board in six
years. If I did a long ocean crossing, however, I would carry one just
for the practice.