posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising
Dick Locke Dick Locke is offline

Default AIS hardware and software

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 01:02:09 -0400, Jack Erbes
wrote:

Bill Kearney wrote:

snip
Ah, they're now including some vector charts. snip

A few vector charts are included with CE's trial version download.
After you install the trial version you can go online to NOAA (not to
Rosepoint software's web site) and download any or all of the NOAA
vector and raster charts that are available. Coastal Explorer has a
very nice interface for downloading and managing charts built into it.

The other stuff that is included with the CNP package is stuff that is
not available for public download, they are other MapTech commercial
products. Stuff like the 3D bottom contours and images of coastlines
and harbors.

I'm not participating in the ongoing ****ing contest here, just trying
to add some details that go to the topic under discussion.

I like Coastal Explorer very much based on my use of the trial version.
I do think that the Coastal Explorer software still needs some work on
the way it handles route and waypoint imports and exports, also in the
way that routes and waypoints can be copied, pasted, and edited from
within Coastal Explorer.

To continue with a discussion of the qualities of the software, have
either of you guys noticed anything that could use some improvement there?

Jack

Thanks Jack. Bill and Dave seem to have shared a girlfriend in high
school or something. Mellow out guys.

Price is one issue but functionality is the important issue. I did
have a couple of hardware and software questions.

Regarding price, the Fugawi package is $210 or so. The bundle
(Rosepoint and SR161) from Milltech is $499, compared to $189 for the
SR161 receiver. That's $310 for Rosepoint, or $100 more than Fugaw
Marine ENCi. Maptech Coastal Navigator Pro is $499 as far as I can
see. It has a bunch of US-centric charts I don't need. Sooo my
question is drifting into "how good is Fugawi?"

I did learn that Coastal Navigator Pro is the same software as
Rosepoint, thanks for that.

Cheers

Dick Locke
s/v Tanoshii