posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising
Bill Kearney Bill Kearney is offline

Default AIS hardware and software

If you would check The Rose Point Program, it includes all the U.S.
Charts not some of them and the URL I posted has a deal for an AIS
reciever to boot. Take that to Defender.

Adding an AIS receiver (sp) is certainly a nice thing. But go
double-check and compare what constitutes charts on the two packages.
Doubtless you'll find a rather big difference. But then I haven't
checked their website lately.

Ah, they're now including some vector charts. That's a nice
improvement. But that's nothing compared to having the vector, raster,
3D, topo, gazetteer (place names), satellite overhead views AND aerial
pictures. It's clear you just don't know what you're talking about, but
this is nothing new.

Bottom line, the core program in the two of them is fantastic (it should
be, it's the SAME program). And if you don't need (or want) any of the
additional chart data provided in the Maptech version then it's
certainly worth considering Coastal Explorer.

As for AIS, I'm waiting for the Class B device approval for use in the
US. I'd rather wait, for two reasons. One being there's not really
much need for AIS in the Chesapeake. Someone boating elsewhere might
have different demands. Secondly, there's a decent chance prices on the
class A devices will drop as the class B units become available. I'm
not that concerned about the pricing but I'd prefer to avoid wasting
money on something I don't immediately need when there's a chance of
something better in the near future. Of course the approval process
seems rather glacial so who knows for sure.

With the information you provided I doubt you have used them all. I
have played with a number of charting programs but I have not used
them all. Then again I leave the dock onec in awhile.

Uh, find someone else to insult you pathetic slob, and get a spell
checker.