Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Should I learn celestial navigation before doing circumnavigation ?

wrote in message

I was just told by a friend that I should learn celestial
navigation before sailing around the world because
GPS devices don't work that well in the middle of the
ocean and can malfunction if they get wet, etc.

Does my friend have a point even if I intend to bring
3 independent GPS systems with me ?

How about if I just get a cheap sextant and the book
"Celestial Navigation When Your GPS Fails" and
bring them with me ?

TIA

Learning something new (or in this case old) is always a good idea. That
said, the GPS sat system works just fine. The biggest issue is that your
batteries die. Bring spares of batteries and GPSs. Your friend has a point
on the top of his head.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com