Default HR 2550 may make it illegal to wash your deck

wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 14:02:45 GMT, (Richard
Casady) wrote:

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 16:11:47 +0700,
wrote:

A simple example: You decide you want to buy a barrel of crude oil,
the price is in the newspaper every day, right? Now tell me what a
barrel of oil is? Right off the top of my head I can think of several
different sizes of barrels, 55 gal., 44gal., 200 Ltrs., etc.

Bad example. The petroleum barrel has been 42 gallons since they used
old herring barrels to haul crude in horse drawn wagons. It is a
recognized item in the list of internationally accepted weights and
measures. My calculator has it as 42 gal per bbl. By the way, a 55 gal
drum holds that much so that you get 50 gal liquid capacity plus the
necessary expansion space. So it's actually a round number.

Casady

No, good example as my company worked for just about every
international oil company in Indonesia and every one of their
contracts defines a "barrel" in the preamble to the contract. By the
way is not 42 US gallons, it is 42 US gallons at 60 degrees F at sea
level. :-)

What's the temperature have to do with anything? I know what you're
gonna say. You're gonna say volume decreases with temperature decrease
and vice versa. But does that not also hold true for the measuring
container?

It's the same thought process those dummies who say to loosen the
standing rigging for the winter storage period because the stays and
shrouds shrink with the cold. But, I suppose they think the aluminum
mast doesn't also shrink? Duh!

Ya gotta think outta the box, man.

Wilbur Hubbard