otnmbrd otnmbrd is offline

Default Should I learn celestial navigation before doing circumnavigation ?

wrote in :

How about if I just get a cheap sextant and the book
"Celestial Navigation When Your GPS Fails" and
bring them with me ?

TIA

If there is such a book, I'd get it, plus the cheap sextant.
Even if all else fails you can use it to get a latitude which could help
get you to somewhere safe or play with it to reduce boredom.
Remember.....Celestial is an open ocean navigation system. Although it can
be highly accurate, it doesn't really have to be all that precise.... it
mainly needs to get you to a point where you can use other methods
(visual/soundings) to get the precise info you need to make a safe
landfall.