Paul Cassel Paul Cassel is offline

Default Should I learn celestial navigation before doing circumnavigation?

wrote:
I was just told by a friend that I should learn celestial
navigation before sailing around the world because
GPS devices don't work that well in the middle of the
ocean and can malfunction if they get wet, etc.

Does my friend have a point even if I intend to bring
3 independent GPS systems with me ?

How about if I just get a cheap sextant and the book
"Celestial Navigation When Your GPS Fails" and
bring them with me ?

\
You should get to an 80/20 knowledge of celestial. The basics are easy
and they'll see you to your destination well. Frex, you can get pretty
much anywhere, if not exactly on target, by doing only sun shots and
Polaris.