Default HR 2550 may make it illegal to wash your deck

"Dave" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 18:38:32 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
said:

"Sounds like we'd better hope this passes. Permits would be state run
under
federal mandate. This might not be a problem in places like Maine
where
boating is recognized as essential to the tourist economy but some
states
might see the revenue generated by such a permit system as a quick
soak-the-rich fiscal fix."

Now, here's why he's still confused. The first paragraph is correct.
The
second is wrong. Permits would not be run by states under federal
mandate - not for recreational boats at least, as this legislation
exempts recreational boats. In other words nothing would change for
recreational boats. It would be status quo. In other words that
federal
judge who legislated from the bench would have his hand slapped by
congress. And, that's the way it SHOULD be.

At least I now see your reading comprehension problem. Those of us
with a
facility with the language would immediately realize that in Roger's
second
sentence he was referring to the state of affairs that would exist if
the
bill does not pass and the court's decision stands. You of course
don't fall
within the group with a facility with the language.

It is I who read the language as it is written. That a writer butchers
the language and causes it to have a diametrically opposed meaning than
he intended is his shortcoming, not mine.

The man should have written it more competently. He should have written
something like the following so people would not have to second-guess
what he meant:

"Sounds like we'd better hope this passes. (If it fails to pass)
Permits would (then) be state(-)run under federal mandate. This might
not be a problem in places like Maine where boating is recognized as
essential to the tourist economy but some states might see the revenue
generated by such a permit system as a quick
soak-the-rich fiscal fix."

But even that lacks consistency mainly due to the fact that if states
ran it under federal mandate, states would have to adhere to the
mandate. Chew on that one for a while Mr. Guess at What the Language
Means.

Wilbur Hubbard