posted to rec.boats.building
Lew Hodgett Lew Hodgett is offline

Default Yanmar or Westerbeke?

"Frogwatch" wrote:

Am not sure why Hodgett does not like Yanmar. I have had two and

they
are the most reliable machines I have ever seen.

I was the proud owner of a YSM12, a one lung, raw water cooled beast
that snapped engine mount studs as frequently as some people change
their underwear.

Finally had to install an AquaDrive system to isolate the engine from
the boat hull and eliminate the snapping studs problem.

Little did I realize until much later that Yanmar had withdrawn the
YSM12 from the marine market and my builder had evidently picked up my
engine at a close out sale.

Had the boat 11 years, and that YSM12 was a PITA the entire time.

Today's Yanmar product is a high RPM, low weight unit designed for the
power boat market, not a low RPM, high torque unit designed for a
sailboat application.

Yanmar has figured out the the power boat market spends money and the
sail boat market talks everything to death, but doesn't spend any
money.

Lew