posted to rec.boats.building
Wm Watt Wm Watt is offline

Default Marine Plywood?

On Sep 12, 1:17 pm, "Toller" wrote:

Rudder Cheeks eh? What is the piece between the cheeks called?
Mine are 3/8" ply, routed down to 3/16" at the hardware.

What did you put on them to waterproof them?-

Paint. For the edges anything you have handy will do. They are not
going to be under water. If I were doing it today I'd spread polyester
resin along the edges where it can soak in to keep moisture from
penetrating. Epoxy, polyurethane varnish, or even linseed oil if
that's what you have at hand.

I'd also smear polyester resin on any places which would chafe, for
example if the tiller is inserted between the cheeks (I don't know
what that's called), or the rudder rotates between the cheeks ("kick
up" rudder) . Polyester is good for abraision resistance. I use it on
my home built boats where parts might rub. I coated the inside of a
dagger board trunk with it. Just the resin, no fibreglass
reinforcement. Or epoxy if that's what you have.