posted to rec.boats.building
Matt Colie[_2_] Matt Colie[_2_] is offline

Default Yanmar or Westerbeke?

Well daddyo,

You have some choices. One thing that nobody has mentioned here is
serviceability. I did sail an H40 and a pilot years back, but do not
remember them well enough to help with this part at all.

Before you commit to buy anything, get the install drawings and the
owner's manual at least on loan. Locate the parts that will require
regular attention and make sure that when what ever you choose is
installed - you can actually see, reach and deal with these parts. In
this group is always the fuel and oil filters, priming pump and
bleeders, accessory drive belts and tensioners, and - of course - the
lube oil dipstick.

Westerbeke and Universal (now the same company) have not built their own
engine in about 30 years (since the end of the U4). Westerbeke used to
retag Perkins and Most of the Universals have been marinized Kubota.
The saving grace with both of these is the company's capability to
provide spares.

A 29yo Westerbeke(Perkins) is just not all that old - really. Why don't
you hunt around for a shop that might overhaul it. Get said shop to
write up a complete order. The parts are expensive on automotive terms,
but they also are not automotive parts. All of the commercial engines
are built for a 4-5khr life. As an auxiliary in a sloop, you could be
close to that in 30 years. All it might take is rings, bearings, a
valve grind and injector clean and reshim to be back to running like a
new engine.

Fair Wind and Smooth Sea
Matt Colie
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Mariner and Congenital Sailor

daddyo wrote:
I've got a 1966 Hinckley Pilot with a 1978 Westerbeke 40 HP diesel
that is probably on its last legs. Would much appreciate anyone's
wisdom/experience on choosing a replacement diesel. My yard is
recommending another Westerbeke but all the sailors I talk to say
Yanmar.